Can I tell you something?
I just made the most delicious, worth-every-single-bite, vegan treat that I have ever eaten!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars.
That’s right- chocolate chip cookie dough topping a cheesecake filling, loaded on a perfect graham cracker crust. And all without any baking required.
These cheesecake bars were definitely one of those recipes where I hid the goods in the freezer and purposefully didn’t tell anybody about them so that I wouldn’t have to share….. I know- I’m terrible. I get like that with food.
And although I didn’t want to share the actual bars with anybody else at the time, I do want to share the recipe with you! That way you can experience the same overwhelming tastiness as I was able too
Seriously. You (and potentially whoever you share with…) will definitely find yourself saying, “OMG, I can’t believe these are vegan!!” It’s one of those kinds of recipes. Shockingly good.
Or maybe it’s just me and my fixation on cookie dough… haha NAH! These truly are very, very yummy.
Here is one thing to take note of when making these bars- the cookie dough topping will not pour. It will be firm like cookie dough is supposed to be. So you have two options: you can roll the cookie dough into balls and stir into the cheesecake filling, then pour into the crust like that OR you can press the cookie dough in between your palms and piece together the top as evenly as possible. As you can see from my photos, I chose to piece together the top. It wasn’t difficult and didn’t take very long.
- FOR THE BASE:
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 9 sheets)
- 2 TB coconut oil or earth balance butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese*
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar of choice (cane sugar, xylitol, coconut sugar, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH TOP:
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) earth balance butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar of choice (brown sugar, cane sugar, or coconut sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- scant ¾ cup flour (light spelt, whole wheat pastry, or organic all-purpose)
- ⅓ cup non-dairy chocolate chips (only ¼ cup if using mini chips)
- Line an 8-inch-by-8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, melted oil or butter, and maple syrup until it is completely moistened. Press firmly and evenly into the baking pan. Set aside in freezer to firm up.
- Using a stand mixer or hand beater, beat the cheesecake filling ingredients together until creamy. Pour on top of the graham cracker crust and place in the freezer to firm up.
- Using a stand mixer or hand beater, beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the salt a vanilla and mix until combined. Add in the flour and beat on low to just combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Take tablespoon-sized pieces of cookie dough a flatten them between your palms and place them on top of the cheesecake layer, covering it as evenly as possible. return to freeze to firm at least 1 hour. Serve directly from freezer.