Once upon a time, muffins were my favorite treat.
I used to love going to the grocery store bakery and picking up one of those over-sized muffins to treat myself. Blueberry, specifically. I’m a big fan.
I still really like muffins, but now that I bake all the time for myself (and with my diet being the way it is and all..) I generally skip the bakery and make up a batch in my own kitchen instead.
These muffins are a culmination of my favorite way to bake now-a-days: Vegan, Naturally Sweetened, and DELICIOUS!!
Fluffy and moist. Full of great Maple-Vanilla-Cinnamon flavor. Sure to please your whole family!
The kids won’t even miss all that granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water
- 1⅔ cups flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (almond or soy, preferred)
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted or 3 tablespoons non-GMO canola oil
- 1 TB vanilla extract (or sub part maple extract)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with paper cups or lightly grease it.
- In a small bowl, combine flax with water to make a flax-egg, whisking with for occasionally while it sits.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to evenly distribute.
- To a medium bowl, whisk together flax-egg, milk, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla. Add wet mixture to dry and stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups ⅔ full and bake 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
**Add some chopped nuts or dried fruit for some fun texture!